Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Trento talk





My student David Reeb will be attending this meeting at ECT Trento next week:

Sign Problems and Complex Actions

workshop at ECT* Trento

Monday March 2 - Friday March 6 2009

organizers: Gert Aarts (Swansea University) & Shailesh Chandrasekharan (Duke University)

I would really have liked to go but my wife is giving a talk at Emory at the same time so I am stuck at home watching the twins. No Alps for me :-/

Here are the excellent slides for David's talk. The first section is a nice introduction to Monte Carlo methods in quantum field theory, which he made for a local seminar here in the ITS (for non-experts).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to ask a really dumb question. What does F^{a}_{\mu \nu} actually LOOK like? [Latex mileage may vary; I typically post as David]

Steve Hsu said...

If you are familiar with F_mn for the electromagnetic field, just imagine another "internal", "color" space along which the fields align. So you have different "kinds" of electric and magnetic field.

Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

I am familiar with F_mn. I guess what I'm getting at is that I've never really gotten how you calculate [and calculate with] a tensor that has both co- and contravariant components.

Anonymous said...

So I guess I should add that that this would be more apparent if I actually read a book on QCD. Any recommendations?

Steve Hsu said...

Actually, nothing good pops into my head for non-experts. For someone who already knows quantum field theory I can think of several options.

Perhaps Kerson Huang's book Quarks and Leptons?

Blog Archive

Labels